Friday, September 13, 2013
7 Quick Takes Friday
1. It's my birthday!!!! Happy Birthday to meeeeeeeeee!!
2. And yes, it's Friday the 13th but I'm not superstitious so no worries here.
3. I am 44 and my husband turned 47 yesterday and to me that all just sounds really, really old. Luckily I still feel like I'm 18...now if I could only get that wrinkle cream to actually work so I looked more like I felt. Although the zits I still get do tend to give me a more youthful appearance.
4. I was up at my normal 5:45 AM having my quiet time. (I hate that people call it quiet time. That makes it sound like something your mom makes you do when you've outgrown your nap but she's ready for a break from you. But since I haven't come up with a better name, I guess I'll stick with that.) I had just finished reading today's scripture when I opened Jesus Calling to read the devotion for September 13th. A smile came to my face when I saw this...
She is always scribbling on my papers and I think she assumed I would be mad when she wrote this on today's devotion. Nope. Not mad. I think it's the sweetest thing ever. And she did it so long ago that she didn't even remember!
By the way, if you are looking for a good daily devotional, I recommend anything by Sarah Young. She writes the devotionals as if God is speaking directly to you. Powerful stuff!
5. I attended Mass this morning at the kid's school. They attend Mass every Friday as a school and each Friday a different grade leads the liturgy. This morning was Peter's grade and he was singing in the choir and reading part of the first reading.
He's done this many times before since we started attending this school in his 3rd grade year. But this morning, he freaked out. He didn't want to go to school. He didn't want to do the reading because he was afraid he was going to mess up. He begged me to let him stay home.
I said a prayer with him and told him I would continue to pray for him but that he was going to school and that he was going to do that reading and that he was going to do a great job.
He reluctantly headed out the door and on his not-so-merry way.
And of course, he did great. The kids always do great. The sound system or maybe it's the acoustics in this church aren't the greatest so I always have a hard time hearing the kids (and the priest for that matter!) but he did just fine.
Not sure why he was so nervous about it today. The only thing I can think is that perhaps at the age of almost 11, he's worried that if he messes up he might get laughed at.
6. I'm heading to lunch with the BFF a little later. I'm looking forward to a delicious salad and good conversation!
7. One more thing about Pete - his favorite music genre has recently switched from classic rock to heavy metal. The better he gets at guitar, the faster he wants to play and who plays guitar faster than the heavy metal guys? No one.
Last night, Peter was upset when he realized he missed the Megadeth and Iron Maiden show in Raleigh a few weeks ago. I laughed and told him not to worry because I wouldn't have taken him to that concert anyway.
I went through a hairband phase in college but I never really enjoyed heavy metal. Bon Jovi, White Snake and Poison were more my speed. The heaviest I ever liked was Guns N Roses and Motley Crue so to think that I'm going to take my 10 year old to and Iron Maiden/Megadeth show is a little cray cray! He should know better.
Have a great weekend everyone and head on over to Jen's for more quick takes!